As it has been a few days since my last post, I thought I would update you all on my week.
We spend around 5 days in Pokhara, too long to spend in any one place really. The first couple days were amazing, we hiked up to the World Peace Pagoda, erected by the Japanese some time ago. The pagoda itself was beautiful, but the view was amazing (its really all about the views here). We've been trying to watch our wallets, so we don't end up starving at the end of this trip. Therefore, we have been splitting dinners of veggie curry everywhere. Exceptions to the penny-pinching rule were made for tissues (which are in high demand around the area of my sinuses) and, of course, chocolate. Twix and Mars bars, more specifically.
We spent a few more days in Pokhara, basically stalling because we were at a loss for what to do next. One day we rented a boat for 5 hours and went out on the great lake we were staying near. Most of the gigantic mountain range visible in Pokhara is reflected in this lake. It was, needless to say, a wonderful day. I believe it was that night or the next when we were lulled into a restaurant by the sounds of Van Morrison's "Sweet Thing" followed by many more of the classics. Imagine our disappointment when Van the Man was abandoned in favor of Bob Marley. If I don't hear another Bob Marley song in my life, it would be too soon (though I'll most likely hear one tonight). He seems to be the most significant leftover from the once prominent hippie movement that had its claws in the Nepalese tourist scene in the mid-late 90's. Bob Marley and hemp necklaces.
A few days later, we took a bus back to Kathmandu with hopes of fixing our flight situation. We only have a ticket from Mumbai to Egypt (as India was our original plan) and wanted to change it for little, if no money. Turns out changing it would cost us $300 each! We were bummed because we just don't have very much money. Thankfully two men came to our rescue. Their names (and I'm not shitting you) are pronounced 'Props' and 'Achoo.' They each seem to know the comedy that is their name, as they laughed every time they said it. Anyway, Props and Achoo proceeded to look online and make a few phone calls, eventually getting us a visa to India for the next day (today) and train tickets to Mumbai for considerably less than we had expected. Man, and I thought the Egyptians were helpful!
We ended up striking up a little friendship with these oddly-named men, and went to eat with them last night. We went to a restaurant that was famous in Kathmandu, I guess. Props ordered us food and drink. I had no idea what he said, but turns out he had ordered us so much food it would make a pig blush. Also, we drank the Nepali rice wine out of a barrel basically. It was delicious. The place was lively and the food was so spicy at times it felt like torture. But once I wiped off the chilies, the food was actually delicious. We met a German man, George, who had been living in Nepal for 20 years and lived on a farm. I loved him. I'm sure the man I marry will be a carbon copy of this man.
Today is rainy, we've taken to sitting in cafes and reading on these days. It suits us fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment