I took off last Wednesday. After two great flights (I'm beginning to love everything about flying), I landed in Fiumincino Airport, took a train to Termini, where I waited for Lisa to pick me up. Lisa is a friend I was staying with in Rome. She's getting her master's there and will be there for another year or so. It's great to visit people who are in similar situations as yourself, although I can say her situation is a lot cleaner.
I get back to her apartment and take a nap, because, well, I take naps often. Our first night was great, we headed to Piazza Navoli for dinner (Gnocchi in Pomodoro sauce...yummmm.) The Piazza is beautiful, full of street vendors, fountains and a giant carousel in the center. I especially enjoyed the plush toy vendors which were packed so tight they looked like the window of a butcher shop:
Here are some more pictures of the Piazza and that fantastic first night:
**I would like to take this time to note that a cat just screeched so loud in my hallway that I jumped out of my seat. There it goes again.
So that night we meet some other travelers. A couple, him being from Chicago, and her from Poland. He was an oddball, and as we found out later, very annoying. She however, was a wonderful Pole (I know, a rarity) and we became fast friends:
We went to a bar with them in Campo di Fiori and I had my first good beer in many months, it was a Moretti La Rossa. I believe I didn't give this beer much credit when I was in the states. However, it has been a long time since I have tasted anything other than shitty, horribly shitty Egyptian beer:
The rest of my time there was basically sight seeing, sleeping and eating. Yup, you heard it here first gang, Italians make great food. They sure do. The only downside is when I accidentally ordered anchovies on my pizza. Pick all you want, that salty fish taste is not going anywhere. Disgusting. Here are some more pictures of Rome:
So, the night before Christmas Eve, we get locked out of the apartment. After much brew-ha-ha, we end up staying at Lisa's landlord's sister-in-law's house (follow me?). It was very nice of them. So, that's how I spent Christmas Eve. It wasn't too bad. We made dinner and played with the cat.
The next day (Christmas) I left for Egypt. As I left late in the day and had a few hours layover in Hungary (where I got to see some Christmas snow and I swear I caught a glimpse of Devendra Benhart), I didn't get back to my apartment until 7 am the next morning.
And now:
My list of presents (given to me) for Christmas:
1. I met the first, and I'm presuming the last, cat I have ever liked. Her name was Tara, and I'm still not sure if she liked me very much:
2. This chocolate provided by the fine people of Malev Hungarian Airlines.
3. The year-long visa given to me by my school, which allowed me to avoid the 6:00 am harassment at the Cairo Airport suffered by many of my co-travelers.
4. During the taxi ride back into Cairo, realizing I have more love for this city than previously thought and how I would miss it when I leave in June.
5. Returning to school this morning and finding out that one of my kids, Haytham, had been a pain in the ass all week because he missed me.
I hereby promise to keep up with this blog...it's a promise. I have been lazy, I admit. It's frustrating to wait 40 minutes for a picture to upload, though I could always go to a coffee shop I suppose.
1 comment:
"Pick all you want, that salty fish taste isn't going anywhere."
man, are you telling me.
and so now it would appear that your international jet-setting is bringing us closer together...in a totally inappropriate and inaccurate sort of way. i guess egypt's good for something.
Post a Comment